Monday, May 21, 2007

Candidate Debate

If you weren’t at the courthouse last Thursday night you missed an historic event. For the first time in the history of the Choctaw County School District, or at least for the first time in the 20 years that I’ve served the district, candidates for superintendent came together to discuss the issues with the public. Although it wasn’t meant to be a debate, when it was over folks kept asking me who I thought won. That was the easiest question of the night. The public won.

The public won because for once they know the candidates’ views on school issues. They were also able to see how well the candidates can think on their feet. Just as importantly, they were able to see how well each candidate can communicate his or her ideas.

The biggest surprise of the night, for me at least, was that all the candidates present had apparently been studying my blog. They all said that they are in favor of recruiting widely for teachers and administrators, that they are for involving teachers and parents in hiring teachers and administrators, and that they are for empowering teachers and parents by giving them input in policy and program decisions. That surprised me because when I formally presented these ideas to our school board on February 11, 2002 I got very little support and a great deal of criticism.

In all fairness I should say that my opponent in the Republican primary, Glen Beard, did not jump on that bandwagon. Of course, he didn’t come to the meeting, but if he had I’m sure he would not have endorsed these positions. His record for hiring certified personnel at Weir Attendance Center would seem to rule that out.

My biggest disappointment of the evening was that Glen Beard chose not to show up and tell the public his positions and what he would do if he were the superintendent of schools. I’d like the public to know where he and I differ on the issues because I feel certain that we differ significantly. In the August primary I won’t be running against Donna Nail, Terry Stacy, or Freddie King. I’ll have to beat Glen Beard first. If you want to help me do that please remember to ask for a Republican ballot in the August primary election. In November, of course, you can vote for a combination of Republicans and Democrats if you chose to.

In closing I’d like to thank Kenny Clark, Charles Thomas, Laura Sandiford, Tricia Robinette, Lee James, and Robin Fulce for volunteering their time to make the evening’s discussion possible. There was so much happening Thursday night that I’m sure I’m leaving others out who helped as well, and I’m sorry for the omission. I’d also like to thank all the Choctaw Countians who came out to show their interest and express their concerns for our schools. I’d love to see this event repeated before the election. I’d be happy to go anywhere at anytime and give the public my views on educational issues.

Until next time, may God bless you and your children.
Bob Mamrak

No comments: