Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fourth of July Lull

Happy Fourth of July! You may have noticed that I didn’t run any political advertisements in this week’s papers. My intention was to take this week off to recover from a whirlwind month. My wife Anna and I spent two weeks in London visiting more historic sites than we could count. We returned to teach Vacation Bible School during the third week, and we had a great summer revival at New Zion in week four. Today Anna and I are celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary and babysitting our grand daughter, and tomorrow the rest of the clan is coming over for a July 4th cookout.

I thought all that was excuse enough not to post anything this week, but then I got a phone call from a supporter who was disappointed that I hadn’t written a new article. Well, I wouldn’t want to let anyone down so here I am at the keyboard.

The Fourth of July is traditionally when many Choctaw Countians decide whom they will vote for in August. At the family cookout, over ribs and burgers, talk just naturally turns to the election around the corner. A lot of people vote for friends, family, or whoever put up the most signs and shook the most hands. In the superintendent election, I hope you won’t do that. The superintendent of schools could be the most important position being voted on. The results will have a very direct bearing on our children’s futures.

That’s why I have tried to make this election about the educational issues facing our schools. That’s why week after week I have written an article that addresses one of those issues that gives specific, detailed solutions to problems that must be solved. No other candidate has done that; not now or in the previous five superintendent elections I’ve seen in the 20 years I’ve served the Choctaw County School System. (To give credit where credit is due, however, Donna Nail has addressed issues, albeit with less specific solutions.)

Now I need you to do something. I need feedback. I need to know if you think I am on the right track. I need to know what other educational concerns you have so I can address them this month. To that end I’m asking you to contact me by phone, mail, or email. Write to me at 2385 Weir-Salem Road, Weir, MS 39772. Call me at (662) 285-3633. Email me at churchart@excite.com. I appreciate the calls and emails I’ve received so far, but I need to hear from more citizens who truly care about our schools.

In closing, let me say how much I appreciate the many kind and supportive comments I’ve received during my campaign. One thing I’ve heard over and over is that you wish more people could read my articles, people who don’t have the internet or, like me, are stuck with a dial-up connection that makes it difficult to download what I’ve written. Therefore, I encourage you to talk about these things to people you meet. Better yet, print them out and hand them a copy. Also, if you contact me I’ll be happy to mail anyone a copy of every one of the articles.

Until next time, may God bless you and your children.
Bob Mamrak

No comments: